MMA fighter Conor McGregor has been arrested just hours after he unleashed an attack on a bus carrying his rivals, causing lightweight Michael Chiesa to be ruled out of UFC 223.

The athlete turned himself in to police at Brooklyn’s 78th precinct on Thursday night and is expected to spend the night as he waits to be charged with criminal mischief and reckless endangerment on Friday, according to the New York Post

Chiesa suffered a laceration to his face when McGregor and his team began throwing objects at the bus he was riding and was pulled from Saturday’s fight as a result.

He tweeted to say the New York State Athletic Commission had decided to pull him from his bout against Anthony Pettis.

Addressing his opponent, he said: ‘I’m devastated to say the least. @Showtimepettis I hope to run this match up ASAP, June 9th in your backyard. That’s all I have to say for now. Much love.’ 

Flyweight Ray Borg will also not be taking part in his fight against Brandon Moreno due to ‘multiple cornea abrasions’, the UFC said in a statement. 

UFC fans have already taken to social media to express disappointment that three Saturday fights have been canceled.

One Twitter user said: ‘So I heard thanks to [McGregor] there are now only 3 fights in 4 hours to watch in the arena. the rest is downtime for people who spent a lot of money on this event.’

A source close to McGregor told NBC4 he was ‘upset and distraught’ over the incident. 

Shocking new footage shows Conor McGregor running towards the bus

He is seen picking up a dolly

Shocking new footage shows Conor McGregor running towards the bus and picking up a dolly

Newly emerged footage shows the shocking moment McGregor picks up a dolly and hurls it at his rivals’ bus after the UFC 223 media day at Barclays Center in New York City on Thursday.

McGregor was not on the UFC 223 fight card in Brooklyn on Saturday, but the mixed martial arts superstar still made headlines by crashing Thursday’s media day and attacking a bus full of rival MMA fighters, leaving them covered in shattered glass. 

He was filmed unleashing his attack as the bus pulled into a parking area loaded with fighters. He is seen running to the dolly and then throwing it at the moving bus, slamming a window through which the passengers can be seen.   

Police and EMS were called to the scene according to UFC president Dana White, who said that there was a warrant out for McGregor’s arrest – a claim the NYPD didn’t immediately confirm.

‘There is a warrant out for Conor McGregor’s arrest,’ White told reporters. ‘They’re looking for him right now. His plane cannot take off. He cannot leave the state of New York with this warrant. They will be grounded. I assume if they don’t catch him, he’ll turn himself in. You can imagine he’s going to be sued beyond belief and this was a real bad career move for him.’ 

The mixed martial arts superstar is then seen throwing the dolly at one of the bus' windows

The mixed martial arts superstar is then seen throwing the dolly at one of the bus' windows

The mixed martial arts superstar is then seen throwing the dolly at one of the bus’ windows

The dolly hits the window, which smashes, sending glass flying over the passengers inside

The dolly hits the window, which smashes, sending glass flying over the passengers inside

McGregor is being held at Brooklyn's 78th precinct and will face a judge on Friday

McGregor is being held at Brooklyn’s 78th precinct and will face a judge on Friday

White said the incident is ‘the most disgusting thing that’s ever happened in the history’ of UFC.

The Irishman was scheduled to lose his UFC lightweight belt on Saturday to the winner of the title bout between Max Holloway and Khabib Nurmagomedov, the latter of whom appeared to be the target of McGregor’s rage. 

He is not an American citizen and thus could possibly be denied entry into the country if convicted of the charges he’s accused of.

White previously ruled that McGregor would have to forfeit the belt to whomever won the fight because the 29-year-old has not participated in a UFC event since 2016 – nearly a year before his doomed boxing debut against Floyd Mayweather Jr. in August of 2017.

McGregor gave a convoluted reaction to White’s decision on Twitter: ‘You’s’ll strip me of nothing you’s do nothing c****.’ 

The skirmish occurred as Nurmagomedov made his exit from the arena’s bottom floor near the loading docks. As the lightweight’s bus inched towards the truck elevator, McGregor and his posse attempted to climb aboard.

‘Approximately 20 guys were apparently let in through the doors by the Mac Life guys, who were credentialed here,’ White explained, referencing McGregor’s brand and its employees who allegedly helped the Dublin native and his crew enter Barclays Center.

Chiesa tweeted to say the New York State Athletic Commission had decided to pull him from his bout against Anthony Pettis

Chiesa tweeted to say the New York State Athletic Commission had decided to pull him from his bout against Anthony Pettis

Conoor McGregor and his team crashed the UFC 223 media day at the Barclays Center

Conoor McGregor and his team crashed the UFC 223 media day at the Barclays Center

Media followed McGregor and his posse towards the stairwell down to Barclays Center's event level, where the Irish UFC star and several members of his crew chased down Nurmagomedov

Media followed McGregor and his posse towards the stairwell down to Barclays Center’s event level, where the Irish UFC star and several members of his crew chased down Nurmagomedov

McGregor apparently took issue with being stripped of his belt by White and the UFC  

McGregor apparently took issue with being stripped of his belt by White and the UFC  

‘They opened the doors for them through an entrance, they stormed the building, got down to the loading docks where the fighters were getting on the buses and started to attack the buses, throwing trash cans and dollies and things like that,’ White continued. ‘Broke one of the windows and cut Michael Chiesa real bad. He cut his head and cut his face. Rose Namajunas was apparently almost hit. She’s super upset right now… Hurt one of our employees, broke one of our employees knuckles.’   

Footage from the scene released earlier shows McGregor attempting to hurl a guard rail through the window of the van full of fighters before being prevented by security.

The Dubliner can then be seen trying to do the same with a trash can before being thwarted once again.   

McGregor attempted to grab a guard rail and use it to smash the bus before he was restrained

McGregor was strained by several people

McGregor attempted to grab a guard rail and use it to smash the bus before he was restrained

Khabib Nurmagomedov was reportedly the target of Conor McGregor's agitation on Thursday

Khabib Nurmagomedov was reportedly the target of Conor McGregor’s agitation on Thursday

Nurmagomedov, a front-runner to be McGregor's next opponent, had a run-in with Artem Lobov (pictured) earlier this week, threatening him if he ever spoke his name again. Lobov is a  friend and training partner of McGregor's and it's likely that the incident was a response to this

Nurmagomedov, a front-runner to be McGregor’s next opponent, had a run-in with Artem Lobov (pictured) earlier this week, threatening him if he ever spoke his name again. Lobov is a friend and training partner of McGregor’s and it’s likely that the incident was a response to this

Rose Namajunas was on the bus and left shaken after the attack

Michael Chiesa was left with a laceration to his face after a chair was thrown through one of the van's windows

Rose Namajunas (left) was on the bus and left shaken after the attack while Michael Chiesa was left with a laceration to his face after a chair was thrown through one of the van’s windows

McGregor continued to try to get into the bus, even grabbing a guard rail at one point, but was ultimately restrained by a handful of onlookers.

Nurmagomedov, a front-runner to be McGregor’s next opponent, had a run-in with Artem Lobov earlier this week, threatening him if he ever spoke his name again.

‘Never say my name,’ Nurmagomedov said in a clip that was later posted to YouTube. ‘You got me? I didn’t hear you, motherf*****.’

Lobov is a long-time friend and training partner of McGregor’s and it is likely Thursday’s incident was a response to this altercation. 

He has been pulled from UFC 223 as a result of the incident. 

‘Artem was [in the group of people involved],’ White said. ‘Artem’s off the card. That fight’s not happening.’ 

The winner of Saturday’s bout seemed likely to be among the top contenders for the next big-money fight with McGregor, although all of that appears up in the air now. 

White previously said McGregor, UFC’s biggest box office attraction, would fight this year.

Now, though, White says he doesn’t want anything to do with McGregor. 

‘Right now, absolutely not,’ White said, as quoted by ESPN. ‘Do you want to be in business with Conor McGregor right now? Do you want to chase this guy for interviews and buy his fights? I don’t think anybody is going to want to right now.

‘I don’t know if he’s on drugs or what his deal is, but to come and do this and act like this? You’re talking about a guy who has a baby. He just had a kid.’

Nurmagomedov was the only fighter in New York who skipped the open workout and instead turned the session into a Q&A with fans. He tossed T-shirts to fans asking the best questions and posed for a selfie with a kid in a papakha.

One fan shouted if he would call out McGregor after the fight.

‘We’re going to make him a little bit humble,’ Nurmagomedov said.

McGregor, apparently, did not want to wait until Saturday.

Nurmagomedov, a front-runner to be McGregor's next opponent, had a run-in with Artem Lobov earlier this week, threatening the Irishman's friend and training partner if he ever spoke his name again. 'Never say my name,' Nurmagomedov said in a clip that was later posted to YouTube. 'You got me? I didn't hear you, motherf*****'

Nurmagomedov, a front-runner to be McGregor’s next opponent, had a run-in with Artem Lobov earlier this week, threatening the Irishman’s friend and training partner if he ever spoke his name again. ‘Never say my name,’ Nurmagomedov said in a clip that was later posted to YouTube. ‘You got me? I didn’t hear you, motherf*****’

Who is Conor McGregor?

Conor McGregor is known for his controversial, bragging persona on and off the ring, which draws record numbers of viewers to his fights.

The 27-year-old Ultimate Fighting Champion was born in Dublin, Ireland, and began his mixed martial arts career at age 18 in an amateur match for the Irish Ring of Truth in his hometown.

He soon went professional and debuted in the MMA in 2009, collecting wins  both as a lightweight and a featherweight.

McGregor is the first European MMA fighter to hold titles from two divisions – Featherweight and Lightweigh – simultaneously.

In 2013, after being swarmed by requests to sign McGregor to the UFC during a trip to Ireland, the organization’s president Dana White complied and the fighter became the second-ever Irishman to compete for the organization.

McGregor has said that he collected a $200 check from Ireland’s welfare state just one week before his UFC debut, when he was working as a plummer.

He drew the biggest pay-per-view audience for an MMA fight ever when he fought Nate Diaz at UFC 202 in 2016 and defeated him. For that fight he earned $1million, becoming the first UFC fighter to get a seven-figure pay day.

That year he became the first MMA fighter ever to be included on Forbes’ list of highest-paid athletes.

In 2017 he announced he would go on hiatus from the UFC after winning the lightweight championship.

McGregor went on hiatus while undefeated as the lightweight champion but had already lost his featherweight championship. 

However White has ruled that he has to forfeit his Lightweight Championship belt because he has not participated in a UFC event since 2016.

The Irishman’s most recent fight was in a boxing ring.

In August of 2017 he was paid a whopping $100million to fight Floyd Mayweather in a much-anticipated match that he lost on the 10th round.   

McGregor has been in a relationship with Dee Devlin since 2008 and they share a child, Conor McGregor Jr who was born in May of 2017. 

 





Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here